Autoantibodies; Myasthenia Gravis; Neuroimmunology
My research interest is the study of autoantibodies in myasthenia gravis. Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease of the neuromuscular junction. In my previous work I focussed on the pathogenic mechanisms of MuSK autoantibodies of the IgG4 subclass, which block interaction between key signalling molecules at the muscle side of the neuromuscular junction, and the relevance of Fab-arm exchange for this process. My ongoing research interest is the discovery of novel autoantibodies that cause myasthenia gravis or autoimmune myositis and the development of new diagnostic assays.
To this end I was awarded with a Herta-Firnberg Postdoctoral Fellowship by the Austrian Science Fund.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Tissue- and cell-based assays as well as primary cell cultures are used to screen patient serum for the presence of autoantibodies against the neuromuscular junction. Immunoprecipitation and mass spectrometry are then used to identify the precise antigenic target of the antibodies.
- Koneczny, I., 2018. A New Classification System for IgG4 Autoantibodies. Frontiers in Immunology, 9. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.00097.
- Koneczny, I. et al., 2017. IgG4 autoantibodies against muscle-specific kinase undergo Fab-arm exchange in myasthenia gravis patients. Journal of Autoimmunity, 77, pp.104-115. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2016.11.005.
- Koneczny, I., Martinez, P.M. & De Baets, M., 2016. Myasthenia Gravis. Encyclopedia of Immunobiology, pp.168-179. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-374279-7.15006-4.
- Koneczny, I. et al., 2014. Autocrine fibroblast growth factor 18 signaling mediates Wnt-dependent stimulation of CD44-positive human colorectal adenoma cells. Molecular Carcinogenesis, 54(9), pp.789-799. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mc.22146.
- Koneczny, I. et al., 2013. MuSK Myasthenia Gravis IgG4 Disrupts the Interaction of LRP4 with MuSK but Both IgG4 and IgG1-3 Can Disperse Preformed Agrin-Independent AChR Clusters L. Mei, ed. PLoS ONE, 8(11), p.e80695. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080695.