Amplifiers, Electronic; Electromyography; Spinal Cord Stimulation; Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation
My main research focus is the application of non-invasive spinal cord stimulation to neuromodulate the neural networks embedded into the spinal cord, and how to use them to ameliorate spasticity and modify residual motor control. Additional work is based on the development of new biomedical devices to enhance security on novel Magnetic Stimulation applications.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Non-invasive electrical stimulation techniques for neuromodulation of the central nervous system and neuromuscular stimulation. Electrophysiological (e.g., EMG, ECG, EEG) and biomechanical data (goniometer, force, etc.) acquisition. Functional Magnetic Stimulation for the treatment of pelvic floor muscles.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2017. Optimization of Interphase Intervals to Enhance the Evoked Muscular Responses of Transcutaneous Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation. Artificial Organs, 41(12), pp.1145-1152. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aor.12921.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2016. Effects of sustained electrical stimulation on spasticity assessed by the pendulum test. Current Directions in Biomedical Engineering, 2(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/cdbme-2016-0090.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2015. Dynamic Impedance Model of the Skin-Electrode Interface for Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation M. A. Lebedev, ed. PLOS ONE, 10(5), p.e0125609. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125609.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2015. Comparison of Twitch Responses During Current- or Voltage-Controlled Transcutaneous Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation. Artificial Organs, 39(10), pp.868-875. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aor.12623.
- Varela-Jimenez, M.I. et al., 2015. Constitutive model for shear yield stress of magnetorheological fluid based on the concept of state transition. Smart Materials and Structures, 24(4), p.045039. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/24/4/045039.