Diagnostic Imaging; Diagnostic Techniques, Ophthalmological; Eye Diseases; Imaging, Three-Dimensional; Multimodal Imaging; Optical Fibers; Optical Imaging; Tomography, Optical Coherence
- Hitzenberger/Pircher Lab
My research efforts address optical coherence tomography (OCT). In ophthalmology this non-invasive, interferometer based, three-dimensional imaging modality helps to diagnose and monitor common eye diseases such as glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration or diabetic retinopathy. My work focuses on multi-channel approaches to investigate the aforementioned pathologic disorders. On the one hand we aim for a functional extension of OCT - namely Doppler-OCT - which enables quantitative investigation of retinal and choroidal perfusion. On the other hand our multi-channel prototypes enable investigation of the directional scattering properties of distinct layers/regions of the human retina by performing mutli-directional OCT.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Optical Coherence Tomography in ophthalmology. Swept source technology. Optical engineering. Software development. Optical fibers. Interferometers.
- Wartak, A. et al., 2017. Multi-directional optical coherence tomography for retinal imaging. Biomedical Optics Express, 8(12), p.5560. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/BOE.8.005560.
- Wartak, A. et al., 2016. Active-passive path-length encoded (APPLE) Doppler OCT. Biomedical Optics Express, 7(12), p.5233. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/BOE.7.005233.
- Beer, F. et al., 2017. Conical scan pattern for enhanced visualization of the human cornea using polarization-sensitive OCT. Biomedical Optics Express, 8(6), p.2906. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/BOE.8.002906.
- Wartak, A. et al., 2017. Sequential multi-channel OCT in the retina using high-speed fiber optic switches S. A. Boppart, M. Wojtkowski, & W.-Y. Oh, eds. Optical Coherence Imaging Techniques and Imaging in Scattering Media II. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2286075.
- Wartak, A. et al., 2016. Multi-channel depth encoded swept source joint aperture Doppler optical coherence tomography. Biomedical Optics 2016. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/CANCER.2016.JTu3A.17.