Cardiomyopathy, Hypertrophic; Infarction; Myocardial Ischemia; Myocardial Reperfusion Injury
Cardiovascular physiology, pathophysiology and pharmacology; experimental models of myocardial ischemia/reperfusion and infarction, cardiac arrhythmias, testing of newly developed antiischemic compounds. Focus on the endogenous adaptation of the heart against ischemic and reperfusion injury (e.g remote conditionings). Ischemia and reperfusion-induced release of reactive molecules and their downstream pathways, cardioprotective mechasnims relate to nitric oxide signaling pathway. Arginase activity in the heart and in vascular system. The protective role of vagus stimulation on diseased heart and the possible cardioprotecvtive mechanism of non neuronal cholinerg system. Metabolic syndrome in vasculature and in myocardium. Left ventricle remodeling and heart failure, basic mechanism and clinical aspect.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
In vivo: acute ischemia/reperfusion model of dog, pig and rat. Electrical stimulation of vagus nerve (rat, pig), diabetic model on rat. Minor experience working with mice with ischemia/reperfusion and LV remodelling. Myocardial infarction model on rats. Isolated working heart model on rat hearts. In vitro: Protein expression assay (Western blot), fluorescent staining, nitrate/nitrite assay, arginase activity, ELISA and histology.
- Kiss, A. et al., 2008. Peroxynitrite decreases arrhythmias induced by ischaemia reperfusion in anaesthetized dogs, without involving mitochondrial KATP channels. British Journal of Pharmacology, 155(7), pp.1015-1024. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/bjp.2008.344.
- Kiss, A. et al., 2010. The role of nitric oxide, superoxide and peroxynitrite in the anti-arrhythmic effects of preconditioning and peroxynitrite infusion in anaesthetized dogs. British Journal of Pharmacology, 160(5), pp.1263-1272. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2010.00774.x.
- Juhasz, L. et al., 2011. Is there a trigger role of peroxynitrite in the anti-arrhythmic effect of ischaemic preconditioning and peroxynitrite infusion? European Journal of Pharmacology, 667(1-3), pp.306-313. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2011.06.010.
- Pernow, J. et al., 2015. Tissue-specific up-regulation of arginase I and II induced by p38 MAPK mediates endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Br J Pharmacol, 172(19), pp.4684-4698. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.13242.
- Kiss, A. et al., 2014. The Role of Arginase and Rho Kinase in Cardioprotection from Remote Ischemic Perconditioning in Non-Diabetic and Diabetic Rat In Vivo R. J. Korthuis, ed. PLoS ONE, 9(8), p.e104731. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0104731.