- Robert Eferl
- Basic biomedical science to identify functions of transcription factors in diseases
- Development of transgenic mouse models for cooperative mutations in cancer development
- Investigation of molecular and cellular processes in the tumor microenvironment that influence cancer formation with a focus on tumor-associated macrophages and STAT3
- Cytokine signaling in cholestatic liver fibrosis, hepatocellular carcinomas and formation of colorectal tumors with a focus on transcription factors STAT1 and STAT3
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Generation of transgenic, knockout and knockin mice
- Mouse models with conditional deletion of STAT1, STAT3 or CDHR5 in intestinal epithelial cells, hepatocytes, macrophages and fibroblasts
- Mouse tumor models for colorectal cancer, intestinal cancer and liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma)
- Preparation of swiss roles and mouse tumor analysis
- Quantitative histomorphometry of IHC (immunohistochemical) stainings and immunofluorescence with Definiens software
- Quantitation of tumor vessel parameters (wall thickness, lumen, vessel numbers, vessel size)
- Characterization of immune cell infiltrates in tumors using immunohistochemistry and FACS
- Pathria, P. et al., 2015. Myeloid STAT3 promotes formation of colitis-associated colorectal cancer in mice . OncoImmunology, 4(4), p.e998529. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2162402X.2014.998529.
- Crncec, I. et al., 2015. Induction of Colorectal Cancer in Mice and Histomorphometric Evaluation of Tumors. Mouse Models of Cancer, pp.145-164. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-2297-0_7.
- Musteanu, M. et al., 2012. A mouse model to identify cooperating signaling pathways in cancer. Nat Meth, 9(9), pp.897-900. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.2130.
- Mair, M. et al., 2010. Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3 Protects From Liver Injury and Fibrosis in a Mouse Model of Sclerosing Cholangitis. Gastroenterology, 138(7), pp.2499-2508. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2010.02.049.
- Musteanu, M. et al., 2010. Stat3 Is a Negative Regulator of Intestinal Tumor Progression in ApcMin Mice. Gastroenterology, 138(3), pp.1003-1011.e5. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2009.11.049.