Abdominal Neoplasms; Blood Platelets; Colorectal Surgery; Liver Diseases; Liver Regeneration; Serotonin; von Willebrand Factor
- ARGE Starlinger - Translational and Experimental Liver Laboratory Vienna (TELL - Vienna)
Head: Patrick Starlinger
Research Area: www.tellvienna.com
Main research objectives:
a) Molecular mechanisms of liver regeneration and potential treatment targets:
- Identification of central regulators and processes involved in the initiation of liver regeneration.
- Characterization of regulatory mechanisms and thereby identification of novel therapeutic targets to support the regenerative capacity after liver resection as well as to improve our understanding of the pathophysiological processes involved in liver regeneration.
b) Predictive and prognostic markers for liver regeneration and primary and secondary liver cancer:
- Identification of clinical and experimental markers of liver regeneration which reflect the prognosis of regenerative capability and therefore the postoperative outcome after liver surgery, to ultimately tailor surgical strategy to each individual patient and thereby avoid potentially fatal complications.
- Quantification of tumor aggressiveness using clinical and experimental markers to predict early disease recurrence, to spare unnecessary surgery in patients that will not benefit from tumor resection.
c) Cancer development:
- Identification of the role of platelets and immune cells and their interaction during the development of liver cancer and progression.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Padickakudy, R. et al. (2017) ‘Bivalent role of intra-platelet serotonin in liver regeneration and tumor recurrence in humans’, Journal of Hepatology, 67(6), pp. 1243–1252. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2017.08.009.
- Starlinger, P. et al. (2021) ‘Combined APRI/ALBI score to predict mortality after hepatic resection’, BJS Open, 5(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bjsopen/zraa043.
- Starlinger, P. et al. (2021) ‘The Addition of C‐Reactive Protein and von Willebrand Factor to Model for End‐Stage Liver Disease‐Sodium Improves Prediction of Waitlist Mortality’, Hepatology, 74(3), pp. 1533–1545. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hep.31838.
- Starlinger, P. et al. (2014) ‘Evidence for serotonin as a relevant inducer of liver regeneration after liver resection in humans’, Hepatology, 60(1), pp. 257–266. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hep.26950.
- Starlinger, P. et al. (2012) ‘Neoadjuvant bevacizumab persistently inactivates VEGF at the time of surgery despite preoperative cessation’, British Journal of Cancer, 107(6), pp. 961–966. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.342.