Angiotensins; Artificial Intelligence; Chymases; Diabetes Mellitus; Kidney; Kidney Transplantation; Mast Cells; Neprilysin; Pathology; Pattern Recognition, Automated; Renin-Angiotensin System
- Renal Pathology and Immunopathology
Head: Renate Kain
Research Area: Pathogenesis of ANCA associated autoimmune vasculitis (AAV) Autoantibodies to human lysosomal membrane protein-2 (hLAMP-2) and other glyocoproteins in AAV Autoimmunity to membrane proteins in the pathogenesis of FNGN and AAV The role of extracellular vesicles as biomarkers in AAV The role of autophagy in antigen presentation and autoimmunity
Our main focus is the description of regulatory changes of the Renin-Angiotensin System (RAS) in kidney disease and after kidney or heart transplantation. Specifically, we investigate the individual actitivity of angiotensin forming enzymes in tissues (local RAS) and plasma (systemic RAS). Factors like RAS blockade therapy (ACEi, ARB, etc.) and transplantation-associated variables (duration, rejection, type of underlying disease) might critically affect the organ-specific RAS and transplantation outcomes (graft survival, mortality). The overall goal is understand RAS regulation in this disease settings and provide a patient-tailored RAS blocking therapy to optimize patient outcomes.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Angiotensin quantification and enzyme activity measurement is performed externally (Attoquant Diagnostics GmbH). Immunohistochemistry is performed in-house in cooperation with the Institute of Pathology. Standard techniques such as western blot, native PAGE, realtime PCR, flow cytometry, cell culture, RNA transfection and HDL isolation are readily available at our laboratory.
- Kaltenecker, C.C. et al., 2020. Critical Role of Neprilysin in Kidney Angiotensin Metabolism. Circulation Research. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.119.316151.
- Kovarik, J.J. et al., 2017. Effects of angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor therapy on the regulation of the plasma and cardiac tissue renin-angiotensin system in heart transplant patients. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 36(3), pp.355-365. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2016.08.022.
- Kovarik, J.J. et al., 2014. Molecular regulation of the renin-angiotensin system in haemodialysis patients. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 30(1), pp.115-123. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfu265.
- Kopecky, C. et al., 2014. Restoration of Renal Function Does Not Correct Impairment of Uremic HDL Properties. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 26(3), pp.565-575. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2013111219.
- Katholnig, K. et al., 2013. p38alpha Senses Environmental Stress To Control Innate Immune Responses via Mechanistic Target of Rapamycin. The Journal of Immunology, 190(4), pp.1519-1527. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1202683.