Cardiovascular; Hemophilia A; Hemostasis; von Willebrand Factor
- Haematology & Immunology
Research Area: test newly developed drugs in the immunologic and coagulation field; combining in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo trials to obtain an integrated insight into pathophysiologic processes
The main scope of my research interest is a new drug that is binding to von Willebrand factor (VWF) and it is decreasing its clearance through the LRP1 receptor. We have conducted many smaller preclinical studies with rondoraptivon pegol in which we examined its in vitro effects. We also investigated wheatear VWF is a predictor of mortality in patients suffering from the acute coronary syndrome. After a successful first-in-human trial in which we have seen that rondoraptivon pegol increases VWF and FVIII levels, we decided to investigate its safety and effect in Von Willebrand disease type 2B and Haemophilia A patients. In the phase II trial, we have also seen a positive effect and good safety in these two patient groups. We are now planning a phase III trial.
- Ay, C. et al. (2022) ‘The VWF binding aptamer rondoraptivon pegol increases platelet counts and VWF/FVIII in type 2B von Willebrand disease’, Blood Advances, 6(18), pp. 5467–5476. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2022007805.
- Kovacevic, K.D. et al. (2021) ‘The von Willebrand Factor A-1 domain binding aptamer BT200 elevates plasma levels of VWF and Factor VIII: a first-in-human trial’, Haematologica [Preprint]. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2021.279948.
- Ay, C. et al. (2022) ‘von Willebrand Factor-binding aptamer rondoraptivon pegol as treatment for severe and non-severe hemophilia A’, Blood [Preprint]. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/blood.2022016571.
- Kovacevic, K.D. et al. (2021) ‘The aptamer BT200 blocks von Willebrand factor and platelet function in blood of stroke patients’, Scientific Reports, 11(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-82747-7.
- Kovacevic, K.D. et al. (2020) ‘von Willebrand Factor Predicts Mortality in ACS Patients Treated with Potent P2Y12 Antagonists and is Inhibited by Aptamer BT200 Ex Vivo’, Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 120(09), pp. 1282–1290. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1713888.