My main research focus is to identify biomarkers that predict response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Different chemotherapeutic agents seem to induce different kind of cell deaths. This is a further, very interesting research field since new, targeted immunotherapy concepts may differ in their compatibility with chemotherapy.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
ELISA techniques to identify biomarkers in patients blood samples
Cellculture assays using breast cancer tumor cells in co-culture with human white blood cells
FACS analysis for determing different kinds of cell deaths induced by various chemotherapeutic agents
- Georg-Stumpf-Stipendium (2017)
Source of Funding: Austrian Society of Surgical Oncology, Immunomodulatoty biomarkers in neoadjuvant chemotherapy of breast cancer“
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2019. Impact of Surgical Margins in Breast Cancer After Preoperative Systemic Chemotherapy on Local Recurrence and Survival. Annals of Surgical Oncology. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1245/s10434-019-08089-x.
- Wimmer, K., Sachet, M. & Oehler, R., 2020. Circulating biomarkers of cell death. Clinica Chimica Acta, 500, pp.87–97. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2019.10.003.
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2017. Optimal duration of adjuvant endocrine therapy: how to apply the newest data. Therapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology, 9(11), pp.679–692. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1758834017732966.
- Strobl, S. et al., 2018. Adjuvant Bisphosphonate Therapy in Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. Current Treatment Options in Oncology, 19(4). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11864-018-0535-z.
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2016. Impact of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy on Clinical Risk Scores and Survival in Patients with Colorectal Liver Metastases. Annals of Surgical Oncology, 24(1), pp.236–243. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1245/s10434-016-5615-3.