Chemokines; Clinical virology ; Serology
Serology plays an essential role in the diagnosis of diverse viral diseases. The aim of my research is to evaluate the diagnostic abilities of comprehensive serological assays (avidity assays, epitope type specificity tests, immunoblots, microarrays, surrogate neutralization assays) in clinical virology and to investigate whether T-cell associated chemokines may serve as clinical markers to evaluate the stage, course and severity of different virus infections.
A specific aim of my current research is to assess and evaluate antibody assays in SARS-CoV-2, Parvovirus B19 and Measles virus infections.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- ELISAs and CLIAs
- Epitope-Type-Specifity (ETS) Assays
- IgG-avidity assays
- Immunoblots, Microarrays
- Diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infections and assessment of seroprevalence using antibody assays with the highest performance (2020)
Source of Funding: Medical Scientific Fund of the Mayor of the City of Vienna, CoVID19 Research
- Springer, D.N. et al. (2022) ‘Reduced sensitivity of commercial Spike-specific antibody assays after primary infection with the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant’. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-1669740/v1.
- Semmler, G. et al. (2021) ‘Performance of Four IgM Antibody Assays in the Diagnosis of Measles Virus Primary Infection and Cases with a Serological Profile Indicating Reinfection’, Journal of Clinical Microbiology. Edited by Y.-W. Tang, 59(5). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/jcm.02047-20.
- Semmler, G. et al. (2021) ‘Assessment of S1-, S2-, and NCP-Specific IgM, IgA, and IgG Antibody Kinetics in Acute SARS-CoV-2 Infection by a Microarray and Twelve Other Immunoassays’, Journal of Clinical Microbiology. Edited by Y.-W. Tang, 59(5). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/jcm.02890-20.
- Traugott, M.T. et al. (2020) ‘Diagnosis of COVID-19 using multiple antibody assays in two cases with negative PCR results from nasopharyngeal swabs’, Infection, 49(1), pp. 171–175. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s15010-020-01497-2.
- Traugott, M. et al. (2020) ‘Performance of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Antibody Assays in Different Stages of Infection: Comparison of Commercial Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays and Rapid Tests’, The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 222(3), pp. 362–366. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiaa305.