Anatomy, Regional; Intensive Care Units, Pediatric; Pharmacology, Clinical
My main research focus is regional anaesthesia and paediatric anaesthesia. Our study group initiated the use of ultrasound for regional anaesthesia purposes, and since that time we established these techniques worldwide. Regional anaesthesia became safer and more practicable with the use of ultrasound.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
The cooperation with the Department of Clinical Pharmacology enables volunteer studies in the field of regional anaesthesia. Data from these studies are exact and can be transferred in the daily clinical practice. We perform pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic clinical studies in adult volunteers. Studies with paediatric populations can be only performed in the OR, and we are able to answer various clinical questions with highest ethical and scientific standards.
- Keplinger, M. et al., 2018. Cutaneous innervation of the hand: clinical testing in volunteers shows high intra- and inter-individual variability. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 120(4), pp.836-845. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2017.09.008.
- Marhofer, P., Columb, M. & Hopkins, P.M., 2018. Perineural dexamethasone: the dilemma of systematic reviews and meta-analyses. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 120(2), pp.201-203. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2017.10.015.
- Triffterer, L. et al., 2016. An observational study of the macro- and micro-haemodynamic implications of epidural anaesthesia in children. Anaesthesia, 72(4), pp.488-495. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/anae.13746.
- Tudor-Drobjewski, B.A. et al., 2018. Randomised controlled trial comparing preoperative carbohydrate loading with standard fasting in paediatric anaesthesia. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121(3), pp.656-661. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2018.04.040.
- Marhofer, P., 2017. Regional blocks carried out during general anesthesia or deep sedation. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, 30(5), pp.621-626. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0000000000000504.