Critical Care; Deep Sedation; Neonatology; Outcome of Extremely Premature Infants; Pain; Patient Safety; Pediatric Simulation Training
- NeoPain: Neonatal Pain and Sedation Research Group
Research Area: Our research group focuses on neonatal pain and sedation in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and its effect on long term neurodevelopmental outcomes.
Our research group focuses on neonatal pain and sedation in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and its effect on long term neurodevelopmental outcomes. Our aim is to develop valid and reliable objective pain assessment tools for the neonatal population. In addition, we are searching for new pain management strategies and drugs, providing adequate pain relief with minimal neurotoxicity.
- CARTOON - CoronAviRus educaTional prOgram fOr childreN to promote knowledge and hygiene measures and dispel fear during the COVID-19 pandemic (2021)
Source of Funding: Medical Scientific Fund of the Mayor of the City of Vienna, Medical Scientific Fund of the Mayor of the City of Vienna
- Impact of a respiratory function monitor on cognitive workload during neonatal resuscitation: A randomized crossover study (2021)
Source of Funding: Medical University of Vienna, CCP - Starter Grant
- Development and implementation of VIRTUAL (VIrtual RealiTy edUcAtional pLatform) IMED (2020)
Source of Funding: Medical University of Vienna, CCP Starter Grant
- INSPIRE - Innovation Award (2019)
Source of Funding: INSPIRE, Inspire
Coordinator of the collaborative project
- Steinbauer, P. et al. (2022) ‘The consequences of neonatal pain, stress and opiate administration in animal models: An extensive meta-analysis concerning neuronal cell death, motor and behavioral outcomes’, Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 137, p. 104661. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2022.104661.
- Steinbauer, P. et al. (2021) ‘Impact of a Multifactorial Educational Training on the Management of Preterm Infants in the Central-Eastern European Region’, Frontiers in Pediatrics, 9. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fped.2021.700226.
- Steinbauer, P. et al. (2020) ‘Long-term impact of systematic pain and sedation management on cognitive, motor, and behavioral outcomes of extremely preterm infants at preschool age’, Pediatric Research, 89(3), pp. 540–548. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41390-020-0979-2.
- Bibl, K. et al. (2021) ‘NeoAct: A Randomized Prospective Pilot Study on Communication Skill Training of Neonatologists’, Frontiers in Pediatrics, 9. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fped.2021.675742.
- Giordano, V. et al. (2019) ‘Pain and Sedation Scales for Neonatal and Pediatric Patients in a Preverbal Stage of Development’, JAMA Pediatrics, 173(12), p. 1186. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.3351.