Arthritis, Rheumatoid; Diagnostic Imaging; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Multimodal Imaging; Musculoskeletal Diseases; Ultrasonography
My research interests include the use of imaging for diagnosing, monitoring and predicting rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, in particular the utility of ultrasound for the monitoring of inflammation and structural changes in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis. In addition, I perform comparative imaging research using cadavers, histology, magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound to better understand the anatomical and histological basis of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. I have convened and am convening several taskforces of the European League Against Rheumatism which focus on various aspects of imaging. I have published over 60 peer-reviewed publications within the field of rheumatology and musculoskeletal imaging, and published a textbook on the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound for the hand. I have organized and served on the faculty of several national and international musculoskeletal ultrasound courses and workshops.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Our department has several high-end musculoskeletal ultrasound units and has access to all other, novel imaging methods. A number of collaborative projects with the Department of Anamtomy, the Division of Neuroradiology and Musculoskeletal Radiology, the MRI Excellence Center as well as our own research facilities featuring both disease-specific databases as well as the VISOR sonography database provide unique opportunities for imaging research.
- Gessl, I. et al., 2021. Role of joint damage, malalignment and inflammation in articular tenderness in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, pp.annrheumdis–2020–218744. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2020-218744.
- Mandl, P. et al., 2020. Doubtful swelling on clinical examination reflects synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease, 12, p.1759720X2093348. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1759720X20933489.
- Mandl, P. et al., 2019. Development of semiquantitative ultrasound scoring system to assess cartilage in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology, 58(10), pp.1802–1811. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kez153.
- Mandl, P. et al., 2015. EULAR recommendations for the use of imaging in the diagnosis and management of spondyloarthritis in clinical practice. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 74(7), pp.1327–1339. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-206971.
- Mandl, P. et al., 2016. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors modulate osteoclastogenesis. Arthritis Research & Therapy, 18(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13075-016-0961-x.