Mycoplasma hominis; Symbiosis; Trichomonas vaginalis
- molecular parasitology
My research focus to date is the symbiosis between T. vaginalis and M. hominis, two sexually transmitted, facultative pathogens of the human genital tract. This symbiosis has been investigated to a certain extent. My special interest is in the influence of the symbionts on the drug susceptibility of the respective other one and I am interested in the impact of M. hominis on the pathogenicity of T. vaginalis. Moreover, I want to investigate, if all clinical isolates of T. vaginalis and M. homins are equally able to undergo symbiosis. In a future project I would like to reveal the prevalence of T. vaginalis and M. hominis infections in Austria and establish a molecular epidemiology of the isolates obtained.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Methods used include cell and parasite culture, qPCR, RNA extraction, conventional PCR, microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, drug susceptibility assays, viability assays
- Trichomonas vaginalis-Mycoplasma hominis-interactions (2013)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Hertha Firnberg Programme
- Fürnkranz, U. et al., 2013. Factors influencing the cell adhesion and invasion capacity of Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 55(1), p.63. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-55-63.
- Fürnkranz, U. et al., 2011. In vitro activity of N-chlorotaurine (NCT) in combination with NH4Cl against Trichomonas vaginalis. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 37(2), pp.171-173. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2010.09.006.
- Diab-Elschahawi, M. et al., 2010. Re-evaluation of current A0 value recommendations for thermal disinfection of reusable human waste containers based on new experimental data. Journal of Hospital Infection, 75(1), pp.62-65. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2010.01.020.
- Furnkranz, U. et al., 2009. N-Chlorotaurine shows high in vitro activity against promastigotes and amastigotes of Leishmania species. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 58(10), pp.1298-1302. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.011155-0.
- Furnkranz, U. et al., 2007. Cytotoxic Activity of N-Chlorotaurine on Acanthamoeba spp. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 52(2), pp.470-476. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/AAC.00715-07.