- Unit Medical Anthropology and Global Health
Anthropological perspectives on infectious diseases and in disaster response, esp. Ebola Virus Disease: psycho-social situation of Ebola survivors, occupational situation of health care workers; health seeking behavior in times of crisis.
Access to health care for vulnerable populations (specifically migrants, refugees, certain ethnic groups)
Migration of medical professionals from resource-poor settings (“brain drain”)
Diversity studies: Development of curricula in resource poor settings; transcultural competence in the medical curriculum
Ethnopharmacology: geophagy (consumption of clay) and its implications for public health research in Africa
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Qualitative study designs (semi-structured and in-depth interviews; participatory research), Media Analysis, Applied Social Science Methods; Analysis with the software atlas.ti, using different theoreticel frameworks, such as feminist and socio-political approaches
- 2016 Huebl, Lena; Leick, Stephan; Guettl, Lukas; Akello, Grace; Kutalek, Ruth. Geophagy in Northern Uganda: Perspectives from consumers and clinicians. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene (accepted, in press)
- 2016 Cohn S, Kutalek R. Historical Parallels, Ebola Virus Disease and Cholera: Understanding Community Distrust and Social Violence with Epidemics. PLOS Currents Outbreaks. 2016 Jan 26. Edition 1. doi: 10.1371/currents.outbreaks.aa1f2b60e8d43939b43fbd93e1a63a94.
- 2015 Wojczewski, Silvia; Pentz, Stephen; Blacklock, Claire; Hoffmann, Kathryn; Peersman, Wim; Nkomazana, Oathokwa; Kutalek, Ruth: African female physicians and nurses in the global care chain - Qualitative explorations from five destination countries. PLoS ONE 10, 6: e0129464. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0129464.
- 2015 Wojczewski, Silvia; Willcox, Merlin; Mubangizi, Vincent; Kathryn, Hoffmann; Maling, Sam; Niederkrotenthaler, Thomas; Natukunda, Silvia; Manfred, Maier; Mant, David; Kutalek, Ruth: Portrayal of the human resource crisis and accountability in healthcare: Content analysis of Ugandan newspapers. PLoS ONE 10, 4: e0121766. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0121766
- 2015 Kutalek, Ruth; Wang, Shiyong; Falla, Mosoka; Wesseh, Sanford; Gilbert, Jeffrey: Ebola interventions: Listen to communities. Lancet Global Health 22. Jan, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(15)70010-0