Endocrinology; Insulin-Secreting Cells; Neuroendocrinology; Pancreas; Physiology
- Cell and tissue networks
Our laboratory pioneered in pancreas tissue slices approach to study the function of insulin-secreting beta cells in adult (Speier and Rupnik, 2003; Rupnik 2009), perinatal mice (Meneghel-Rozzo et al., 2004; Rozzo et al., 2009), normal and diabetic rats (Rose at al., 2007), as well as to establish the function of insulin-producing stem cells (Blyszczuk et al., 2005). We made significant contribution to understanding of the function of KATP channels within an intact pancreatic tissue (Speier et al., 2005; Tsiaze et al, 2012). In addition we showed the crutial role and developmental aspect of cell-to-cell communication through Cx36 gap junctions in the activation, coordinated action and deactivation of beta cells (Rozzo et al, 2009; Speier et al., 2007; Rupnik 2009, StoZer and Rupnik, 2013). The complex structure of the pancreatic islet network enabled us to describe emergent properties of the beta cell function in intact tissues (Stozer et al, 2013; Stozer et al, 2013, Dolenšek et al., 2013).
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- advanced patch-clamp & CCD imaging in fresh pancreas slices
- confocal and multiphoton microscopy
- complex network analysis
- Marquard, J. et al., 2015. Characterization of pancreatic NMDA receptors as possible drug targets for diabetes treatment. Nat Med, 21(4), pp.363-372. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm.3822.
- Markovič, R. et al., 2015. Progressive glucose stimulation of islet beta cells reveals a transition from segregated to integrated modular functional connectivity patterns. Scientific Reports, 5, p.7845. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep07845.
- Marciniak, A. et al., 2014. Using pancreas tissue slices for in situ studies of islet of Langerhans and acinar cell biology. Nature Protocols, 9(12), pp.2809-2822. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2014.195.
- Stozer, A., Dolensek, J. & Rupnik, M.S., 2013. Glucose-Stimulated Calcium Dynamics in Islets of Langerhans in Acute Mouse Pancreas Tissue Slices K. Maedler, ed. PLoS ONE, 8(1), p.e54638. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0054638.
- Speier, S. et al., 2007. Cx36-Mediated Coupling Reduces '