- Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group (ABCSG)
Research Area: Breast, colorectal and pancreatic cancer
My main research focus is to identify biomarkers that predict response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Different chemotherapeutic agents seem to induce different kind of cell deaths. This is a further, very interesting research field since new, targeted immunotherapy concepts may differ in their compatibility with chemotherapy.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
ELISA techniques to identify biomarkers in patients blood samples
Cellculture assays using breast cancer tumor cells in co-culture with human white blood cells
FACS analysis for determing different kinds of cell deaths induced by various chemotherapeutic agents
- Immunomodulatoty biomarkers in neoadjuvant chemotherapy of breast cancer (2017)
Source of Funding: Austrian Society of Surgical Oncology, Georg-Stumpf-Stipendium
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2019. Impact of Surgical Margins in Breast Cancer After Preoperative Systemic Chemotherapy on Local Recurrence and Survival. Annals of Surgical Oncology. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1245/s10434-019-08089-x.
- Wimmer, K., Sachet, M. & Oehler, R., 2020. Circulating biomarkers of cell death. Clinica Chimica Acta, 500, pp.87–97. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2019.10.003.
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2017. Optimal duration of adjuvant endocrine therapy: how to apply the newest data. Therapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology, 9(11), pp.679–692. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1758834017732966.
- Strobl, S. et al., 2018. Adjuvant Bisphosphonate Therapy in Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. Current Treatment Options in Oncology, 19(4). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11864-018-0535-z.
- Wimmer, K. et al., 2016. Impact of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy on Clinical Risk Scores and Survival in Patients with Colorectal Liver Metastases. Annals of Surgical Oncology, 24(1), pp.236–243. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1245/s10434-016-5615-3.