Aneurysm, Ruptured; Aortic Aneurysm; Aortic Aneurysm, Abdominal; Biomarkers, Pharmacological; Cardiovascular Abnormalities; Cardiovascular Diseases; Cardiovascular System; Carotid Artery Diseases; General Surgery; Glomerular Filtration Rate; Kidney Failure, Chronic; Kidney Function Tests; Molecular Biology; Monocytes; Neutrophils; Randomized Controlled Trial
- Arge Brostjan
Research Area: Vascular Disease; interplay of endothelial cells, platelets and leukocytes in pro-inflammatory activation, coagulation and angiogenesis
- Vienna Vascular Surgery Research Laboratories
My main research focus is to investigate biomarkers and inflammatory components in cardiovascular and associated diseases, especially focused on translational research regarding neutrophils and neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) in abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs).
We perform different mouse models of AAA and the research is designed to elucidate molecular mechanisms of cardiovascular disease underlying different aspects of pathology and to develop novel therapeutic approaches.
In addition, I am involved in randomized clinical trials and biobanking at the Department of Surgery - Division of Vascular Surgery at the Medical University of Vienna, Vienna General Hospital.
- Best Young Investigator Award of the European and Austrian Society for Surgical Research 2020
- Award Winner of the Austrian Society of Surgery 2020
- Member of the International Society of Surgery
- Member of the Austrian Society of Vascular Surgery
- Member of the Austrian Society of Surgical Research
- Member of the Austrian Society of Surgery
- Klopf, J. et al. (2021) ‘Neutrophil Extracellular Traps and Their Implications in Cardiovascular and Inflammatory Disease’, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22(2), p. 559. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms22020559.
- Klopf, J. et al. (2020) ‘Bisherige Strategien und zukünftige Perspektive zur Reduzierung der Wachstumsraten bei abdominellen Aortenaneurysmen’, Gefässchirurgie, 25(6), pp. 446–449. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00772-020-00665-w.
- Zagrapan, B. et al. (2019) ‘A Novel Diagnostic and Prognostic Score for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Based on D-Dimer and a Comprehensive Analysis of Myeloid Cell Parameters’, Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 119(05), pp. 807–820. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1679939.
- Zagrapan, B. et al. (2020) ‘Complement Factor C5a Is Increased in Blood of Patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Has Prognostic Potential for Aneurysm Growth’, Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, 14(4), pp. 761–769. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12265-020-10086-5.
- Eilenberg, W. et al. (2021) ‘Histone citrullination as a novel biomarker and target to inhibit progression of abdominal aortic aneurysms’, Translational Research, 233, pp. 32–46. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trsl.2021.02.003.