Biomedical Engineering; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy; Medical Physics
- Body MR and Motion Compensation
- MR Physics
Research Area: MR Physics research group is perusing basic methodological research in the area of the magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and spectroscopy.
- Pulse Sequences and Image Reconstruction
- Skeletal muscle MRS and MRI
Martin Meyerspeer holds a PhD in Physics and is specialised in in vivo Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. His main research interests are development of pulse sequences and protocols for multi-nuclear NMR spectroscopy and NMR imaging at ultra-high field, data acquisition and processing. A special focus is dynamic and localized 31P MR spectroscopy of exercising muscle.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
MR pulse sequences at ultra-high magnetic field for ¹H and non-proton MR, particularly their combination in one pulse sequence, i.e. interleaved acquisition of of 1H- and X-nuclear MR data. Further, experience with design and construction of RF coils and with exercise of skeletal muscle in high-field MR scanners.
- Quantifying Lactate and Energy Metabolism in Working Muscle (2021)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Stand-alone project
- MR-Progression-Evaluation of Chronic Kidney Disease (2018)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Programm Clinical Research (KLIF)
- Multimodal Magnetic Resonance Methods for Metabolic Research (2014)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Joint Project with ANR (France)
- Multi-nuclear in vivo MR spectroscopy at ultra-high field (2010)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Erwin-Schrödinger Fellowship
- Niess F, Roat S, Bogner W, Krššák M, Kemp, GJ, Schmid AI, Trattnig S, Moser, E, Zaitsev M, Meyerspeer M., 3D localized lactate detection in muscle tissue using double-quantum filtered ¹H MRS with adiabatic refocusing pulses at 7 T. Magn Reson Med. 2022 Mar;87(3):1174-1183. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.29061.
- Meyerspeer, M. et al., ³¹P magnetic resonance spectroscopy in skeletal muscle: Experts’ consensus recommendations. NMR in Biomedicine 2020;e4246. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/nbm.4246.
- Niess F, Schmid AI, Bogner W, Wolzt M, Carlier PG, Trattnig S, Moser E and Meyerspeer M. Interleaved ³¹P MRS/¹H ASL for analysis of metabolic and functional heterogeneity along human lower leg muscles at 7T. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2019;83(6), 1909–1919. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.28088.
- Meyerspeer M, Magill AW, Kuehne A, Gruetter R, Moser E and Schmid AI. Simultaneous and interleaved acquisition of NMR signals from different nuclei with a clinical MRI scanner. Magn Reson Med 2016;76(5):1636–1641. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.26495.
- Meyerspeer M, Kemp GJ, Mlynárik V, Krššák M, Szendroedi J, Nowotny P, Roden M, Moser E. Direct noninvasive quantification of lactate and high energy phosphates simultaneously in exercising human skeletal muscle by localized magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med 2007;57(4):654–660. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.21188.