Drug Development; Drug Discovery; Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin; Sex-specific Differences
Lymphoid malignancies particularly of the B-cell type are among the most common malignancies in Western countries. They are also characterized by a male preponderance and a more benevolent disease course in women. We try to elucidate the bases of these sex-specific differences which not only seem to have an impact on the molecular characteristics of the malignant cells but also on clinical presentation and response to treatment. In addition, and in co-operation with the Department of Medicinal Chemistry of the University of Vienna, we are developing and investigating novel compounds with regard to their efficacy to induce cancer cell-specific death. Thus, we want to explore novel treatment options which are urgently needed since many of these diseases have to be considered incurable.
- Freund, P. et al., 2016. Cannabinoid Receptors Are Overexpressed in CLL but of Limited Potential for Therapeutic Exploitation G. Velasco, ed. PLOS ONE, 11(6), p.e0156693. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0156693.
- Brunhofer-Bolzer, G. et al., 2015. SAR-Guided Development and Characterization of a Potent Antitumor Compound toward B-Cell Neoplasms with No Detectable Cytotoxicity toward Healthy Cells. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 58(3), pp.1244-1253. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jm501848m.
- Gruber, M. et al., 2013. UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 2B17 genotype and the risk of lung cancer among Austrian Caucasians. Cancer Epidemiology, 37(5), pp.625-628. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.06.004.
- Porpaczy, E. et al., 2013. Lipoprotein lipase in chronic lymphocytic leukaemia - Strong biomarker with lack of functional significance. Leukemia Research, 37(6), pp.631-636. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2013.02.008.
- Vanura, K. et al., 2008. Autoimmune conditions and chronic infections in chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients at diagnosis are associated with unmutated IgVH genes. Haematologica, 93(12), pp.1912-1916. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3324/haematol.12955.