Barrett Esophagus; Esophageal Neoplasms; Oncology; Upper Gastrointestinal Tract
I´m a surgical oncologist with special training in foregut surgery to treat benign and malignant diseases of the esophagogastric region. My research focuses on perioperative risk assessment in esophageal surgery as well as establishing new techniques to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease - GERD. This includes publications on sarcopenia, modified neoadjuvant treatments, and its impact on the outcome after esophageal resection as well as evaluation of the newly implemented electrical stimulation therapy of the lower esophageal sphincter.
- ACO ASSO Publication Award (2017)
Source of Funding: Austrian Society of Surgical Oncology, Award
- Fellowship of Surgical Oncology (2014)
Source of Funding: Austrian Society of Surgical Oncology, Ingrid Shaker-Nessmann Cancer Research Association
- Paireder, M. et al., 2021. Effect of electrical stimulation therapy of the lower esophageal sphincter in GERD patients with ineffective esophageal motility. Surgical Endoscopy, 35(11), pp.6101–6107. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-020-08104-3.
- Paireder, M. et al., 2020. Modification of preoperative radiochemotherapy for esophageal cancer (CROSS protocol) is safe and efficient with no impact on surgical morbidity. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, 196(9), pp.779–786. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00066-020-01594-z.
- Paireder, M. et al., 2017. External validation of the NUn score for predicting anastomotic leakage after oesophageal resection. Scientific Reports, 7(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-10084-9.
- Paireder, M. et al., 2017. Impact of sarcopenia on outcome in patients with esophageal resection following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for esophageal cancer. European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO), 43(2), pp.478–484. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.11.015.
- Paireder, M. et al., 2018. Morbidity in open versus minimally invasive hybrid esophagectomy (MIOMIE). European Surgery, 50(6), pp.249–255. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10353-018-0552-y.