Drug Evaluation, Preclinical; Molecular Imaging; Positron-Emission Tomography; Radioactive Tracers
- Experimental Nuclear Medicine
Head: Cécile Philippe
Research Area: The research group "Experimental Nuclear Medicine" deals with the development and evaluation of radiotracers in various diseases. In addition, the group focuses on organ axes and pharmacokinetics.
- Joint Medicinal Applied Radiochemistry Facility
Head: Markus Mitterhauser
Research Area: The newly founded Joint Applied Medicinal Radiochemistry Facility of the University of Vienna and the Medical University of Vienna connects researchers from different disciplines of the University of Vienna and the Medical University Vienna ranging from basic science to clinical applications.
Biomedical Imaging and Tracer Development
My main area of research is the preclinical development and evaluation of radiopharmaceuticals with focus on energy metabolism and immunology. Thereby, I am focusing on following targets:
- Melanin Concentrating Hormone Receptor 1 (MCHR1)
- Glucose and fatty acid metabolism
- ED-B Fibronectin
- Fibroblast Activation Protein (FAP)
- Folate Receptor alpha (FRa)
My expertise ranges from radiochemistry to non-invasive molecular imaging and ex vivo analyses.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Binding-studies (cell culture)
- Blood-brain-barrier penetration
- Small animal PET/CT/MRI
Access to the Preclinical Imaging Laboratory (FELASA certificate).
- Philippe, C. et al. (2021) ‘Discovery of melanin‐concentrating hormone receptor 1 in brown adipose tissue’, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1494(1), pp. 70–86. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nyas.14563.
- Philippe, C. et al. (2018) ‘SNAPshots of the MCHR1: a Comparison Between the PET-Tracers [18F]FE@SNAP and [11C]SNAP-7941’, Molecular Imaging and Biology, 21(2), pp. 257–268. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11307-018-1212-0.
- Zeilinger, M. et al. (2017) ‘In vivo evaluation of radiotracers targeting the melanin-concentrating hormone receptor 1: [11C]SNAP-7941 and [18F]FE@SNAP reveal specific uptake in the ventricular system’, Scientific Reports, 7(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-08684-6.
- Balber, T. et al. (2019) ‘In vitro Radiopharmaceutical Evidence for MCHR1 Binding Sites in Murine Brown Adipocytes’, Frontiers in Endocrinology, 10. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00324.
- Vraka, C. et al. (2022) ‘Simultaneous radiomethylation of [11C]harmine and [11C]DASB and kinetic modeling approach for serotonergic brain imaging in the same individual’, Scientific Reports, 12(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-06906-0.