Apoptosis; Cell Death; Chemoradiotherapy; Clinical Immunology; Colorectal Neoplasms; Colorectal Surgery; Cytotoxicity, Immunologic; DNA Damage; General Surgery; Liver Neoplasms; Macrophages; Monocytes; Natural Killer T-Cells; Necrosis; Oncolytic Virotherapy; Oncolytic Viruses; Phagocytosis; Radiotherapy; T Cells; Translational Medical Research
My main research focus is primarily concerned with tumor immunology and immuno-oncology. In particular I am investigating the role of therapy-induced (i.e. chemotherapy, radiotherapy) DNA damage and it's correlation with endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress response, immunogenic cell death (ICD), type I and type II interferon (IFN) induction, immune cell infiltration and clinical outcome in solid human malignancies (i.e. colorectal cancer).
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Cell culture techniques (i.e. Antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity & phagocytosis assay)
- Immunohistochemistry, Immunofluorescence
- Imaging techniques (i.e. Laser Scan-, Fluoreszence- & Light-Microscopy)
- Flow cytometry, Imaging flow cytometry
- Molecular biology techniques (i.e. RT-qPCR, Western blot)
Our Surgical Research Laboratories are endowed with various instruments for standard techniques in molecular biology, cell culture, protein biochemistry and immunology. They are located within the Anna Spiegel Research Building, also known as the „Center of Translational Research“ of the Medical University of Vienna, which is equiped with Core Facilities for Genomics, Proteomics, Flow Cytometry and Imaging, providing scientists easy access to state-of-the-art high-end equipment and cutting edge technology to address highly sophisticated research questions.
Furthermore, our studies are arried out within the frames of the Immunology Research Cluster (IRC), Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC) Research Cluster Immunology and Inflammation, Colorectal Cancer Unit (CCC-CRC) and the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute Applied Diagnostics (lbi:ad).
- Hock, K. et al., 2017. Oncolytic influenza A virus expressing interleukin-15 decreases tumor growth in vivo. Surgery, 161(3), pp.735-746. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2016.08.045.
- Weiss, R. et al., 2015. Interleukin-24 inhibits influenza A virus replication in vitro through induction of toll-like receptor 3 dependent apoptosis. Antiviral Research, 123, pp.93-104. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2015.09.005.
- Petricevic, B. et al., 2013. Trastuzumab mediates antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity and phagocytosis to the same extent in both adjuvant and metastatic HER2/neu breast cancer patients. Journal of Translational Medicine, 11(1), p.307. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-11-307.
- Miller, A. et al., 2017. Exploring Metabolic Configurations of Single Cells within Complex Tissue Microenvironments. Cell Metabolism. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2017.08.014.
- Rieder, F.J.J. et al., 2017. Human cytomegalovirus infection downregulates vitamin-D receptor in mammalian cells. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 165, pp.356-362. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2016.08.002.