The field of plasmalogens has been pushed forward by recent developments in analytical tools for plasmalogen characterization as well as in the elucidation of genes and enzymes involved in their biosynthesis. Still there remain many facets of plasmalogens like their regulation in health and disease that are poorly understood and keep scientists of various disciplines on their toes.
We therefore aim to bring together plasmalogen experts as well as young scientists from all over the world to discuss their contributions to the field of this enigmatic phospholipid subclass at the Conference of the International Plasmalogen Society (IPLS) 2023.
On September 21 and 22, 2023, researchers engaged in basic science or (pre-)clinical disciplines will meet in the beautiful city of Vienna, one of the most liveable metropolitan cities worldwide. Historically, Vienna has always been a city of science and is one of the oldest university cities in Europe.
Confirmed exemplary speakers
- Pedro Bites, University of Porto, IBMC, Portugal
“The role of ether-phospholipids on the nervous system.”
- Serhii Chornyi, Amsterdam UMC location University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
“Resolution of the role of peroxisomal beta-oxidation and ABC transporters in ether lipid synthesis”
- Howard Goldfine, University of Pennsylvania, Pensilvania, USA
“Plasmalogens in bacteria: Distribution, biosynthesis and function”
- Masanori Honsho, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
“Regulation of plasmalogen biosynthesis in mammals”
Shamim Hossain, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
"Unlocking the mysteries of Plasmalogens: The vital role they play in boosting brainpower and fighting diseases."
- Irfan Lodhi, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, USA
"Plasmalogens in the regulation of energy homeostasis"
- Katrin Watschinger, Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
“Biochemistry of plasmanylethanolamine desaturase"
- Lifetime achievement in plasmalogen research award (selected by IPLS executive members)
- Poster award (will be selected by a poster selection committee at the venue)