Algorithms; Computer Simulation; Dose-Response Relationship, Radiation; Heavy Ion Radiotherapy; Medical Physics; Monte Carlo Method; Radiation Oncology; Radiotherapy
- Medical Radiation Research
Head: Dietmar Georg
Research Area: The vision of our group is the optimization of the treatment outcome of radiation oncology, alone or in combination with established chemotherapy or novel targeted strategies of drug treatment, with conventional photon or innovative ion-beams.
Head: Hermann Fuchs
Research Area: MOCCAMED is a collaboration of institutes at the Medical University of Vienna dedicated to Monte Carlo simulations and other computing intensive research.
My primary research focus lies in ion-beam therapy. Currently, we are investigating MR-guided ion beam therapy to improve patient treatments while reducing treatment related side effects. Further research topics include the phenomenological description of ion beam dose deposition with focus on treatment planning, algorithm development, dosimetry, high-performance grid computing and Monte Carlo simulations. I am also involved in ion beam dosimetry, treatment verification as well as Monte Carlo modeling of treatment delivery devices.
Currently I lead the intra-department working group MOCCAMED, tasked with the operation of a distributed computer grid for numerical calculations in medical physics. Furthermore, I am active in the OpenGATE collaboration, aiding in the development of the Geant4 based Monte Carlo toolkit GATE.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Monte Carlo simulations
- Algorithm development
- Dosimetry with ion beams
- Dosimetry in magnetic fields
- Padilla-Cabal, F., Georg, D. & Fuchs, H., 2018. A pencil beam algorithm for magnetic resonance image-guided proton therapy. Medical Physics, 45(5), pp.2195–2204. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mp.12854.
- Fuchs, H. et al., 2017. Evaluation of GATE/Geant4 multiple Coulomb scattering algorithms for a 160 MeV proton beam. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 410, pp.122–126. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2017.08.006.
- Fuchs, H. et al., 2017. Magnetic field effects on particle beams and their implications for dose calculation in MR-guided particle therapy. Medical Physics, 44(3), pp.1149–1156. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mp.12105.
- Fuchs, H. et al., 2015. Implementation of spot scanning dose optimization and dose calculation for helium ions in Hyperion. Medical Physics, 42(9), pp.5157–5166. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4927789.
- Fuchs, H. et al., 2012. A pencil beam algorithm for helium ion beam therapy. Medical Physics, 39(11), pp.6726–6737. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4757578.