Dr. Daniel Moritz Felsenreich
MedUni Vienna RESEARCHER OF THE MONTH, February 2017
Dr. Daniel Moritz Felsenreich has been nominated February’s “Researcher of the Month” for his study „Weight Loss, Weight Regain and Conversions to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – 10-Year Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy.”, published in the top journal „Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases”.
Designed as a multi-center study, it was conducted at the Vienna Medical University, Department for General Surgery in collaboration with the Vienna Rudolfstiftung Hospital and Hollabrunn Hospital. Felsenreich’s study is the first on laparoscopic Sleeve gastrectomy with a follow-up of over 10 years worldwide. Sleeve gastrectomy is a minimally invasive, restrictive metabolic surgical method for obese patients, which is the most commonly performed bariatric procedure worldwide today.
The study’s results include a high rate of conversions as well as a large number of patients with weight regain and reflux and clearly suggest that a thorough selection of patients and careful treatment of side effects are essential when considering laparoscopic Sleeve gastrectomy.
1. Felsenreich DM, Langer FB, Kefurt R, Panhofer P, Schermann M, Beckerhinn P, Sperker Ch, Prager G. Weight Loss, Weight Regain and Conversions to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – 10-Year Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Feb 26
2. Angrisani, L., et al., Bariatric Surgery Worldwide 2013. Obes Surg, 2015.
3. Hamoui N, Anthone GJ, Kaufman HS, Crookes PF. Sleeve gastrectomy in the high-risk patient. Obes Surg 2006;16:1445-9.
4. Deitel M, Gagner M, Erickson AL, Crosby RD. Third International Summit: Current status of sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2011;7:749-59.
5. Bohdjalian A, Langer FB, Shakeri-Leidenmuhler S, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy as sole and definitive bariatric procedure: 5-year results for weight loss and ghrelin. Obes Surg 2010;20:535-40.
6. Langer FB, Bohdjalian A, Shakeri-Leidenmuhler S, Schoppmann SF, Zacherl J, Prager G. Conversion from sleeve gastrectomy to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass-indications and outcome. Obes Surg 2010;20:835-40.